Our Founder- Ronald R. Fieve, MD
Dr. Ronald Fieve dedicated his life to Psychopharmacology and mentoring students through his work as Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New York.
Dr. Fieve was an internationally renowned Clinical Psychopharmacologist whose expert opinion and groundbreaking determination founded Fieve Psychiatry Center in New York. His contribution to the studies of psychology continues to be sought world-wide by both patients and colleagues in the areas of Bipolar I and Bipolar ll disorders, Clinical and Major Depression, Anxiety, PTSD, Personality Disorders and Attention Deficit Disorders (ADHD/ADD). Unlike psychopharmacologists who have preceded him, the mental health expert relied on a unique medical model formulated by heredity & brain chemistry to explain major mood disorders. Dr. Fieve’s breakthrough methods and unyielding philosophy on the nature of human emotion has helped destigmatize psychiatric disorders, paving the way for treatment and a better way of life.
Clinical Studies & Drug Trials
Passionate about physical as well as mental health, Fieve also specialized in the use of mood stabilizers to treat these disorders and the avoidance of weight gain that occurs as a common side-effect of patients who consume certain medications. He dedicated countless hours to studying the effects of medications that include lithium carbonate, Cymbalta, Prozac, Effexor, Lexapro, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Depakote, Lamictal, Risperadone, Carbamazepine, Tri-leptal on a trial of approximately 1096 patients.
Dr. Fieve has paved the road for his research team at Fieve Clinical Services, located several floors above the private offices, who continue to specialize in clinical trials of new drugs under development by major pharmaceutical companies. Over the years, they have researched many new drugs and have published close to 300 scientific papers in the field of Bipolar Illness and Depression. Through Dr. Fieve’s various case studies, he has made great strides and advancements in the complex field of psychiatry.
Contributions to Psychiatry
Dr. Fieve and his research team have contributed to many scientific books and prestigious professional publications including The Lancet, Nature, American Journal of Psychiatry, Archives of General Psychiatry, Journal of the American Medical Association, Journal of Psychiatric Research, Clinical Chemistry, British Journal of Psychiatry, Psychopharmacologia, International Journal of Psychiatry, New York State Journal of Medicine, and Advances in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Diseases of the Nervous System. Dr. Fieve has also written two best selling books on bipolar disorder, Moodswing and Bipolar II/Bipolar Breakthrough . His other book, Prozac: Questions and Answers for Patients, Family and Physicians, explains the nature of and treatments for clinical depression. Dr. Ronald Fieve’s many contributions continue to guide patients of Fieve Psychiatry Center to experience a healthier quality of life.
Dr. Ronald Fieve was actively involved and accepted by the following communities:
- Fellow, Collegium Internationale Neuro-Psychopharmacologicum
- Member, American Psychiatric Association Task Force on Lithium
- Fellow, American College of Neuropsychopharmacology
- Member, Psychiatric Research Society
- Fellow, American Psychopathological Association
- Member, Association for Research in Nervous and Mental Diseases
- Life Fellow, American Psychiatric Association
Dr. Ronald Fieve completed competitive programs at the following universities:
- University of Wisconsin, M.S. Engineering
- Harvard Medical School, M.D. in Medicine
- Bellevue Hospital, Cornell University Medical Division, Intern, Medicine|Cardiology
- New York Hospital, Cornell University, Resident in Internal Medicine
- New York State Psychiatric Institute, Resident in Psychiatry
- Fellow, Columbia University, Community Psychiatric Research and Psychophysiology of Alzheimer’s and other Dementias
- Columbia University Psychoanalytic Clinic for Training and Research, Diplomat in Psychoanalytic Medicine
- President, Founder and Trustee of the Foundation for Mood Disorders, New York City
The Trusted Team at Fieve Psychiatry Center
Besides three Board Certified Psychiatrists, the dedicated staff at Fieve Psychiatry Center also consists of several talented, highly experienced Board Certified Nurse Practitioners psychotherapists who specialize in several forms of psychotherapy including cognitive and behavioral psychotherapy, as well as comprehensive consultations and psychopharmacology for many psychiatric conditions.